Sunday, sunday, Sunday!!!!!!!!!
Sunday was all about new stone and this cat Zack I had meet on 4/20 at the snake pits had told me about a few areas he had been to that might be worth checking out. Zack picked me up at 9 am sharp and we began an hour long drive to a gorge a little south east of Pueblo were it was rumored that the sandstone flowed like wine! This gorge is only about 250 yrds off of I-25 but you would never know it's there, you make a few turns and suddenly the earth opens up into a huge 5 mile long, 1/4 wide sandstone gorge with ampitheathers, overhanging faces and of course blocks. Zack and I scrambeled into the canyon and started a search area and after about 4 1/2 hours in the 90+ heat I was ready to throw in the towel. This place is rad and kinda surreal but unfortunitly the rcok left a little to be disired, think Ute Valley times like 10000. If this spot had Mobad or Joes stone you wouldn't be hearing about here, at least not for a little while.
After we nearly epiced tring to find an "EASY" way back out we decided to head back west toward the Wets to cool down, grab some grub and check a few more spots.
Ok so the next spot I will tell you about I thought was F&**in' dope and people have climbed there in the past and there is suppost to be a classic Gill problem there somewhere but Zach has spent three days lookinf for it and has yet to find it. So, picture if you will a mile long (maybe more) cliff band of the highest quality Ute Pass Stone. It was amazing and it's resemblance to the Pass was uncanny. Walking through the blocks I felt like I had been there before but I haven't, so far away from my stomping grounds yet so similar. I can't wait to go back and see more.
We checked out another spot or two, car side of course and started teh drive back to the Springs. It was a great exploritory day although I could live without the heat stroke, sun burn and hurtin neck but it was all worth it in the end. All in all we were out 10 1/2 hours and I am surely glad that with that amount of time and energy
invested we came away with something..............Another Ute Pass.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yo chillah, you looking for Microshield? I can hook that up.
damn, gatzke representing the soco knowledge again! might be needing a tour upon return to colorado
i.e. PSYCHED FOR A COLD SNAP SOCO SESSION OF DOOM !
Sounds interesting....
Post a Comment