Last Friday I jetted out of work early and hauled ass to Canon City to meet up with fellow Henchmen Chris Gatzke with the primary objective of searching and scrubbing new blocks. We arrived at our pristine camp site around 1:30ish which was situated in a sick meadow at around 11,000 ft. This is by far one of the best camping spots I have seen in the CO, serious! We then made the short hike across the meadow and started fanning out along the heavily forested hill sides that make seeing any blocks from a distance nearly impossible. We eventually made it to a small cliff band Chris had scoped previously and set to work and I was able to do one of the shorter lines on the cliff that I dubbed Praying Mantis for the the one I saw in the credit card slot on the gas pump before I left town, no joke. The cliff band was upwards of 25 ft. in spots and being that we only had one pad and Chris forgot his shoes at camp we decided to head out and explore more of the forest. After a few hours of hiking around we made it back to camp only to find a strange tube hanging form under Chris' jeep and after about 45 minutes of trying to figure out what it connected to we were able to reconnect it. Funny thing is we later found out it was a overflow tube that was not supposed to be connected to anything, that's what we get for trying to be logical about the f&()#$in' thing. The following morning we pounded the coffee for a few hours trying to get the alcohol head to go away and eventually made our way back into the dense forest to a nice cluster of blocks we checked out the previous day. We went to work and put two nice easy problems, Mud Hole and Mud Harvest named due to the fact that once you removed the moss you found a nice layer of mud that needed to be cleaned as well. I was fortunate enough to get the FA of Pink & Silver which is a killa 16/17 ft slightly overhanging bad ass line on the nicest, tightest grainpink garnite I have ever seen. I am hard pressed to think of a better line I have done in the past 12 motnhs, on the realz! I think the best part of my ascent was it reminded me of what bouldering was like back in the day since we only had one pad with us and could have easily used another 2 or 3 to make it really safe. I can remember countless sessions were there was only one pad between the entire crew or routinely going to blocks with no pad at all. Ah, fuzzy memories! Well needless to say it felt good to get out and climb a little bit, it's was enough to hold me over until my injuries are fully healed I can start climbing again. Big ups goes out to Gatzke for showing the stash to me, I am sure I will be venturing up there next summer when the temps once again ski rocket out of control.
Till next time.
B$ GONE!!!!!!!!
Monday, September 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
piks??? !!
good to hear you got out to this spot and are psyched on it. i look forward to checking it out in the future and second jaegers comment on needing to see some photos!
No pics for you guys, my batteries were DEADDDDDDDDD!
your infinite praise is worthless without pics ... drool.
Post a Comment